The following is the Miranda Warning required by law to be given to suspects prior to questioning in a custodial (confined) situation. This example is from the Miranda Warning card issued to law enforcement in Pinellas and Pasco Counties, Florida by the State Attorney’s Office for the 6th Judicial Circuit of Florida:
1. You have the right to remain silent.
2. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
3. You have the right to talk to a lawyer and have him present with you while you are being questioned.
4. If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer, one will be appointed to represent you before any questioning, if you wish.
5. You can decide at any time to exercise these rights and not answer any questions or make any statements.
Do you understand each of these rights I have explained to you?
Having these rights in mind, do you wish to talk to us now?